St Mark's Church - Ten Mile Bank
Services are held on the 2nd and 4th Sunday of each month
at 11 am
Reverend Canon David Evans
Reverend Canon David Evans died at home on 3rd January 2012 after being diagnosed with cancer in October 2011
Canon Evans, Rector of Hilgay with Ten Mile Bank and Southery, has served in the Ely diocese since 1990, having previously served as Rector of Somersham, Pidley and Old Hurst and Acting Priest in charge of Wretton with Stoke Ferry and Whittington. Canon Evans was ordained and served in the Southwark diocese prior to his move to Ely
He was licensed as Rural Dean of the Fincham and Feltwell Deanery in 2009 and as an honorary Canon of Ely Cathedral at a service held in December 2011. Canon Evans is survived by his wife Jean and their three children Ian, Daniel and Heloise
Situated on the west bank of the River Great Ouse at Ten Mile Bank, St. Mark's Church was built by the Reverend WJ Parkes between 1846 and1847.
It is a fascinating building and a great survivor of an early example of the Gothic Revival in the Tractarian tradition.
It is very little altered externally and provides the same vista to the passer-by as it did in 1846. It has a very fine interior, displaying an almost completely unaltered arrangement of an early Tractarian church, with the clarity of the 1846 pulpit, the wall panelling and the beautiful poppy head pew-ends.
In 2002, the church was closed due to subsidence but the local community worked hard to save it and it is now listed by English Heritage as a Grade 2 Building of Historical Interest.
A dedicated group of local people raised over £36,000 and English Heritage provided a further £245,000.
In February 2008, a further grant of £6,500 was received from the National Churches Trust.
For more information on this organisation, visit www.nationalchurchestrust.org
The external work was completed by 25th July 2008 and celebrated by the first bell-ringing since 1934
The interior has now been completed and regular Sunday services are now held twice a month.
It was re-opened by The Rt Rev Dr Anthony Russell, the Bishop of Ely on St. Mark's Day - Saturday 25th April 2009.
More funds are needed to complete the restoration. If you can help with fund raising , please contact
Sandra Starling on 01366 377210